Rokkenmichi 5th Shopping Street is located in the southernmost of the Shin-Nagata district. Taisho era, Rokkenmichi as a main road that connects the Komagabayashi and Hyogo, were busy street by many people and carts. It gradually shops were built on both sides of the street, and shopping street went developed.
Around 1918 to 1919, the street has already been called as the "Rokkenmichi", shopping street was increasingly crowded. In 1926, the Rokkenmichi shopping street was officially established.Rokkenmichi has flourished over the Showa era. Customers flooded the street, shops were open until 10:00 at night, closed the store along with the sound of clappers.During the World WarⅡ was a dark moment for Rokkenmichi as well. Many shops closed their business, and built bombproof shelter on the street because of the Rokkenmichi was wide enough to build it.
End of the war,
Although the surrounding area was scorched, luckily the Rokkenmichi was remaining burned. Peoples from the neighbors who heard that "You can find anything if you go to the Rokkenmichi" has been gathered to swarm. People who have heard the rumor came from Awaji Island and Shikoku.
But in the mid of 1950's, Shinkaichi and Sannomiya area had completely returned to normal. Rokkenmichi era had already ended.The Rokkenmichi was away from the center of the town. The street located on the south side became their disadvantage. Surrounding area also went changed little by little.Coast of Komagabayashi was reclaimed. White sand disappeared. 「KomagabayashiSagichou」the traditional event over a long time also became a thing of the past.
Young people stood up in the mid of 1970’s. There is no example across the country, they built a park in the shopping area, laying artificial turf, fountains, benches, drinking fountains, monuments, set up telephone box, then visitors came from all over the country.And finally, Rokkenmichi Shopping Street Promotion Association established in 1977.January 17, 1995, The number of stores decreased from 43 to 25 by the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake.Then, during the earthquake disaster reconstruction, the north side of shopping street has been incorporated in the redevelopment project. July 2001, the long-awaited Komagabayashi subway station was opened.Futabachou gochoume redevelopment building was completed, the Agro Garden opened in April. The surrounding environment has developed as well.The arcade that set up in 1959, decrepit significantly progressed within 45 years, and it had a major damage by the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake. Thus, the current openable arcade has been set up in 2004.
In addition, because of this area remembered in connection with Mr. Mitsuteru Yokoyama, Shin-Nagata south district has also conducted events that are related to "Sangokushi / The Records of Three Kingdoms" for economic development projects in this area.Now Rokkenmichi is known as the town of “The Record of Three Kingdom”, many domestic fans and tourists from the other countries visiting the town. It became a bustling shopping street.
Passed 100 years since Rokkenmichi was developed.The Rokkenmichi is, based on the passion of our predecessors, respecting Rokkenmichism, full of humanity, as a friendly shopping street to people, we aim to shopping street continue to be loved by the people. We look forward to welcoming you.